The Tower of Tragedy is a Jeopardy-style quiz game show hosted by Gruntilda in Banjo-Tooie which serves a similar purpose to Grunty's Furnace Fun from Banjo-Kazooie. The host asks a question and players race to hit their buzzer first to be able to answer it. Questions all pertain to Banjo-Tooie and range from simple trivia, to matching a world to a certain piece of music, to looking at a picture and identifying certain details, such as how many books are on a bookcase.
After Banjo and Kazooie defeat Klungo for the third and last time in the Cauldron Keep, they enter the mystery door to find themselves as a contestant on the Tower of Tragedy quiz along with Grunty's sisters, Mingella and Blobbelda. The game consists of three rounds, and after each of the first two rounds, the player with the fewest points is eliminated by a giant 1-ton weight which dangles precariously over the players' heads. If Banjo and Kazooie make it to the third and final round, they will face the host in a speed round where they race against the clock to earn 15 points within 180 seconds. If they can manage to beat the last round, Gruntilda, flustered by yet another loss, takes Kazooie's advice about "cowardly running away like in the last game" and makes an escape to the top of the tower where she awaits the pair for the final battle with the Hag 1 (and considering how Banjo's weight collapsed just as Banjo and Kazooie were leaving, narrowly missing them, she most likely also tried to crush them while escaping.).
Once the Tower of Tragedy has been beaten, it becomes playable as single-player minigame and as a multiplayer game in which Banjo and Kazooie, Mumbo Jumbo, Humba Wumba, and Jamjars face off to earn the most points within the allotted time. 2-4 players can play, with any remaining player slots being filled by computers. Player 1 plays as Mumbo, player 2 gets Jamjars, player 3 gets Banjo and Kazooie and player 4 gets Wumba.
- Buzzing in first with a right answer: 2 points
- Buzzing in after a contestant got it wrong and answered it correctly: 1 point
- Buzzing in with an incorrect answer: -2 points
- Buzzing in after a contestant got it wrong and answered it incorrectly: -1 point
- Even though Bottles' Revenge was a multiplayer idea scrapped from the final product, his talk icon can be seen on one of the answers.
- A Zubba's talk icon with Bottles' voice can be seen for one of the answers.. There could be a possibility that at some point in development, Bottles' ghost was going to take over a Zubba's body, probably during the "Bottles Revenge" mode, but the concept was scrapped. It also might have just been a place holder from development.