|Game(s)|| Banjo-Kazooie (XBLA) |
Donkey Kong 64(Cameo)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Cheato is Gruntilda's magic spell book. He is found in Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Banjo-Pilot. He is responsible for giving Banjo and Kazooie cheat codes to use against Gruntilda in the first two games and unlocks extra features in Banjo-Pilot.
In Banjo-Kazooie, Cheato gives you three cheat codes: BLUE EGGS, RED FEATHERS, and GOLD FEATHERS. He will give these to Banjo and Kazooie if they can find him hidden in Gruntilda's Lair. The cheats can only be activated once Cheato is found.
- BLUE EGGS - Near the Freezeezy Peak puzzle, enter the tunnel as the crocodile AFTER the Ice block has been destroyed.
- RED FEATHERS - In the lava room, follow the small winding path to a small tunnel as the pumpkin.
- GOLD FEATHERS - In the Rusty Bucket Bay entrance room, raise the water level to 3 and then make it to the alcove before time runs out.
Donkey Kong 64
Cheato makes cameo in Donkey Kong 64 in the Seventh World of Creepy Castle in The Library. There are several ghost books who resemble Cheato flying on the library. Those books are enemies.
In Banjo-Tooie, Gruntilda has carried out her threat of ripping out Cheato's pages for giving cheats to Banjo and Kazooie in the previous game. Banjo and Kazooie must find his missing pages and return them to him so that he can provide them with more cheat codes. For every five pages that are found, Cheato will give Banjo and Kazooie one cheat. The cheats can only be activated in the Code Room of Mayahem Temple.
An interesting thing to note is how exactly Gruntilda managed to rip out Cheato's pages. She was previously trapped under a boulder for 2 years after the events of Banjo-Kazooie. Later when she was freed by her sisters, she left Spiral Mountain without visiting her lair. It is possible that she may have ripped out Cheato's pages before kidnapping Kazooie in Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, as it is set in between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie.
"Hapless page-shedding spellbook, mistreated minion of Grunty and veteran of the Banjo-Kazooie series. Returning Cheato's pages tended to earn unlockable items or, surprisingly, cheat codes."
- "Well done! You've found one of my missing pages! Collect five, then return them to me in Grunty's old lair in Spiral Mountain..."
- Cheato: Hello again, Banjo. Remember me? I'm Cheato, the magical spell book.
Kazooie: Yeah, yeah, we know who you are. Just hand over something useful.
Cheato: You're out of luck there, I'm afraid. Grunty ripped out all my pages because I helped you in the last game. I'd be most grateful if you could look out for them on your travels.
Kazooie: Maybe. What's in it for us?
Cheato: Well, for every five pages you return, I'll let you in on a little secret...
Banjo: You mean a cheat?
Cheato: Well, I'm not called Cheato for nothing...
- Cheato: Sorry, but you'll have to find more pages before I'll tell you a new cheat.
Kazooie: Let's go find some pages, Banjo. I want to cheat!
- "Aha! Some of my lost pages! Want to trade them for secrets?"
- "Green Glowbo unlocked. One of these little critters can be found hiding on certain tracks in Grand Prix mode. Shoot him and he'll open up a new boost, this will take you around the track in a flash."
- "Purple Glowbo unlocked. Lookout for these little critter hiding on the tracks in GP mode. Shoot him for several speedy boosts!"
- "You can now enter any race playing as Humba Wumba."
- "You can now enter any race playing as Jolly Roger."
- "You can now enter any race playing as Klungo."
- "You can now enter any race playing as Grunty."
- "You can now enter any race playing as Bottles."
- "Grunty's Time Trial mode unlocked."
- "Grunty's Jiggy Challenge unlocked."
- "Rare Time Trial records unlocked for both Bottles and Grunty modes."
- "Jinjo Grand Prix unlocked."
- Grunty promised to burn Cheato but ended up removing his pages in Banjo-Tooie.
- Cheato jumbles his sentences in Banjo-Kazooie ("find Cheato witch won't!"), but seems to speak normally in Banjo-Tooie. There is no explanation for this.
- Although, his jumbled speech from the first game is reminiscent to the way the character Yoda from the Star Wars franchise words his sentences. Gruntilda's sisters, Mingella and Blobbelda, also speak this way.
- Even when all 25 pages are returned to Cheato, he still looks in pain and hasn't recovered.
- He resembles the Ghost Book enemies in The Donkey Kong 64 level Creepy Castle.
- Names in Other Languages
|Main Characters:||Banjo · Bottles · Brentilda · Gruntilda · Kazooie · Mumbo Jumbo · Tooty|
|Bosses:||Conga · Nipper · Black Snippet · Mutie-Snippet · Yellow Flibbits · Boss Boom Box · The Zubbas|
|Minor Characters:||Ancient Ones · Bikini Girl · Boggy · Captain Blubber · Cheato · Chimpy · Clanker · Croctus · Dingpot · Eyrie · Gloop · Gnawty · Gobi · Grabba · Groggy · Gruntilda's Broomstick · Histup · Jinjo · Jinxy · Juju · Klungo · Leaky · Little Lockup · Loggo · The Mighty Jinjonator · Moggy · Motzand · Mr. Vile · Nabnut · Napper · Roysten · Rubee · Snacker · Snorkel · Soggy · Tanktup · Tiptup · The Tiptup Choir · Toots · Trunker · Tumblar · Warp Cauldrons · Wozza|
|Racers:||Banjo · Kazooie · Mumbo Jumbo · Purple Jinjo|
|Unlockable Racers:||Bottles · Humba Wumba · Gruntilda· Jolly Roger · Klungo|
|Others:||Alfred P. Cock · Bogfoot · Boggy · Boom Box · Cheato · Clanker · Dolphin · Expresso · Gruntweed · Gobi · King Jingaling · Mama Clucker · Master Jiggywiggy · Miss Bucket · Mr. Ripovski · Red Gruntling · Roysten · Sabreman · Stinglash · Squit · Tiptup · Whiplash|