|Game(s)|| Dream: Land of Giants|
Banjo-Kazooie (XBLA) (Cameo)
Donkey Kong 64 (Cameo)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (GBA version) (cameo)
|World(s)||Jolly Roger's Lagoon|
Captain Blackeye is a curious character who sits in the back room of Jolly Roger's Tavern in Jolly Roger's Lagoon. He appears to be a pirate and he drinks perpetually. Captain Blackeye rants continuously about how a bear who looked just like Banjo (or so he believes) stole his glory.
His purpose in Banjo-Tooie is very minor. If the player talks to him three times, he will threaten to attack Banjo and Kazooie if they do it again. On the fourth attempt, he will try to attack the duo (as implied by his dialogue), but being too seasick he falls over onto his back, so instead he gives Banjo and Kazooie two Doubloons to fetch him a glass of water. However, he then faints in a comical fashion and can still be talked to as he spouts off his infamous remarks.
Captain Blackeye was also meant to appear in the first version of Banjo-Kazooie, which was titled Dream: Land of Giants. He was expected to be the main antagonist in the game but it was never released due to slow development issues. In Banjo-Tooie, he commonly recites the words, Once, I had a dream... This may be a reference to his supposed role in Dream: Land of Giants, just as 'how a bear who stole his glory' is a reference to how Banjo-Kazooie got all the glory.
He makes a cameo appearance in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts on the Boot in a box weapon. His picture is also on a wanted poster and there is also a shop called "Blackeye's Boat Hire" near the Logbox 720 doors.
- He appears to be the same pirate individual who is seen in pictures in Mad Monster Mansion, albeit a bit more haggard.
- He is also rumored to be linked to the mysterious Stop 'n' Swop.
- It is suggested that Captain Blackeye may be the owner of the Rusty Bucket in Rusty Bucket Bay. However, according to Grant Kirkhope, he had a ship called the "Mudplugger".
- Captain Blackeye breaks the fourth wall when you continue to speak to him, saying that if you press another time he will "run ye through".
- If you look at his face closely, you can see it looks rather green. Also, there are a few faint scales on his skin. It is possible he is part human, part fish. However, his green face is probably due to his seasickness and his scales may be a result of bad skin care.
- There's an easter egg where if you talk to him enough, he'll say three quotes: "Arr! I had a dream once...", "I were in this fine game...", and "A bear stole me glory...looked a bit like you, 'e did!". He is referring to the fact that he was the main antagonist of Project Dream: Land of Giants, the game that eventually became Banjo-Kazooie.
- The fact you find him in Jolly Roger's Lagoon is appropriate because the level and he were both from Dream: Land of Giants.
- Part of his theme and a same pirate individual who is seen in pictures made an appearance in Donkey Kong 64's Gloomy Galleon.